Sunday 7 August 2016

Friendship Day

Apparently today is friendship day. I wonder what does the word 'friends' mean. My cousins were my first friends and they continue to my best friends today. We shared secrets about people we fell in love with, our dreams, our ambitions even small little insecurities which comes along with puberty. We partied together. Made fun of each other just as much as we stood up for each other. Fortunately and touchwood, that's the relationship we share even today.

On the other hand, for migrants like me, my friends have become my family. We celebrate birthdays, Diwali, Christmas, Durga Puja together. Our Sundays are spent together. We discuss our family dramas with each other. We are there for each other through thick and thin.

The lines have blurred between friends and family. What was meant to be a social connection has today become more filial while relationships with family have somewhat become more social. So which relationship do we celebrate today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment